Prep to Move Abroad


July 4, 2023

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program – Connect Here

Approval Stamp for Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program

This is a thread for people who are just starting out with the application process to inquire and learn more about the program and the experiences of applicants and prospective applicants on their journey to permanent residence in Canada.


Please ensure you visit the Government of Canada website HERE for information and updates on the Federal Skilled Workers Program. This should be your main source of information. See some FAQs HERE and a glossary of terms HERE.


Regardless of any advice, suggestion or comment provided by anyone on Prep to Move Abroad (PTMA), please research the links labelled “HERE” on this page. Read, read and read some more!!!


Express Entry is an electronic management application system for immigration to Canada. It facilitates the selection and processing of Canada’s economic immigration programs:


– Federal Skilled Worker Program (focus of this thread), HERE


– Federal Skilled Trades Program, HERE


– Canadian Experience Class, HERE


– Provincial Nominee Program, HERE


Compare the first three programs HERE.


Some acronyms you may encounter are listed HERE, have a look to make reading easier.






To be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program:


*You must plan to live outside Quebec


*Skilled Work Experience; You need to have at least one year continuous, full-time (at least 30 hours of paid work per week) or equivalent part-time work experience in an occupation that is NOC A, B or 0, in the past 10 years. Check the National Occupational Classification (NOC) HERE to learn the skill type of your work experience. You will NOT be eligible with an NOC skill level C or D job. Work experience while studying may count, read HERE for more details.


*Language: You must take approved language tests in English or French and get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all 4 abilities (writing, reading, listening and speaking), that’s IELTS score of LRSW 6666. The test results are valid for two years.


*Education: You must complete a minimum of secondary (high school) school education to get points under education. The evaluation of your education is valid for 5 years.


*Proof of Funds (POF): You must show that you have enough money to settle in Canada. The amount of money you need depends on the the size of your family and changes every year. Check the current value HERE.


You must also score at least 67 points out of 100 under the selection factors to be eligible. Calculate your points using the six selection factors HERE.






If you are eligible and you complete a profile with your information, you will placed in a “pool” and be ranked based on the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria.

  • Use the CRS tool to estimate your CRS score HERE.

  • Check the trend of CRS scores HERE.

  • Criteria for computing CRS points HERE. Study this to see the options for increasing your CRS.






Requirements for entering the pool:


*Language HERE: See the language equivalence tables (i.e. how your IELTS or TEF scores translate to CLB/NCLC) HERE.


You can take any of these approved language tests:



  • IELTS: International English Language Testing System, General NOT Academic option.

  • CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (not currently available in Nigeria).





  • TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français.

  • TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français.


*Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) HERE:


Complete an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) through one of the designated agencies. Applicants educated outside of Canada should have their certificates assessed to ensure that their foreign education is equivalent to Canadian education. Look HERE to understand your report and the the points you can get from your evaluation. You should ONLY evaluate your highest degree e.g. PhD or MSc unless you are claiming two degrees, none of which is a PhD or MSc.


Designated Organisations see HERE


1.Education Service – University of Toronto School of Continuing Studies (CES)


2.International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)


3.World Education Services (WES)


4.International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)


5.International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES)


Designated Professional Bodies


Physicians (NOC 3111 or NOC 3112): If your primary occupation is specialist physician (NOC 3111) or general practitioner/family physician (NOC 3112), the Medical Council of Canada MUST do an ECA for your primary medical diploma.


Pharmacists(NOC 3131): If you need a license to practice, the Pharmacy Examining Board of Canada must do your assessment.


NOTE: You can ONLY create your profile when you have your language results and ECA, start HERE






Express Entry draws are conducted at regular intervals (usually fortnightly, on Wednesdays). In these draws, candidates above a certain CRS score are invited to apply (the ITA) for permanent residence. For candidates with exactly the same score as the draw CRS, the tie break rule will apply, read up on this and see an example HERE


You can apply for permanent residence when you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA). You have 60 days to submit an application. There are currently COVID exceptions to this, read HERE.


If you do not get an ITA, you can stay in the pool for up to 12 months as long as you meet the criteria for one of the federal programs. You should update your profile with changes e.g. new language results, additional degree assessment, marriage etc. If you are not invited to apply within 12 months of submitting an Express Entry profile, your profile will expire. You can open a new profile. If you still meet the criteria, you will re-enter the pool.






After you get an Invitation to Apply (ITA), please see the checklist HERE of documents to be submitted. Some requirements include:


-Passport: See how to get or renew a Nigerian passport DIY with Servicom HERE


-Application Fees: See how much your application will cost HERE


-Proof of Funds (POF): You must show that you have enough money to settle in Canada. This money can’t be borrowed. If your spouse is coming with you, you can count money you have together in a joint account. The amount of money you need to support your family depends on the size of your family which includes: yourself, your spouse/partner, your dependent children (read an adoption PPR story HERE) and your spouse’s dependent children. Funds must be readily available, you cannot use equity or real property. Read more about POF HERE.


Everything you need to know about Gift Deeds HERE.


-Medicals: You and your dependents (whether accompanying or not) MUST undergo a medical test conducted by a doctor on the list of IRCC designated panel physicians.


Read more about medicalsHERE.


Read about medical inadmissibilityHERE.


-Police Clearance Certificates (PCC): Police certificates are mandatory for each country (except Canada) where an individual has spent six months or more in a row within the last 10 years, since the age of 18. They are required for the Principal Applicant, spouse and dependent children 18 years of age or older (including non-accompanying).


For the applicant’s current country of residence, the police certificate must have been issued no more than six months before the submission of the e-APR. For countries in which the applicant no longer resides, the police certificate must have been issued after the last time the applicant lived in that country. Read more about police certificates HERE. Ensure you carefully check the IRCC requirement for the country you are getting a PCC for, as some also require additional docs like a driving licence. Scan your PCC in colour NOT black & white.


-Biometrics: You should schedule an appointment online with your closest Visa Application Center (VAC). There are two VACs in Nigeria – Abuja and Lagos. Read more about biometrics HERE.


-Work Experience Reference Letter: ensure that the job description on your reference letter matches (1) the lead statement, (2) all the essential duties and (3) most of the main duties listed on your chosen NOC. More about NOC HERE. Read a strategy for getting your reference letter HERE. NOC mismatch is one of the most common reasons for rejected FSW applications.


NOTE: It is your job DESCRIPTION (i.e. the tasks you performed) that matters NOT your job TITLE.


Find a step by step post ITA guide HERE.


Some applicants have been asked to attend interviews, see some sample questions HERE and HERE


To get an update on your application, fill a webform or case specific enquiry HERE.





  • One and Same person affidavit HERE

  • Request for Bank Reference Letter HERE

  • Request for RSA/Pension Funds Letter HERE

  • Mutual Funds Reference Letter HERE

  • Work Reference Letter HERE

  • Police PCC form HERE

  • Cash Salary Certificate HERE

  • Post ITA LOE for change of NOC HERE

Receive the latest news

Unlock Success!

Download your FREE guide on career secrets and discover remote job opportunities waiting for you NOW!